Gas Furnace in Lancaster, TX
Gas furnaces provide welcome relief from the cold winters Lancaster, TX experiences. Because these heating devices require a substantial investment, most homeowners want to do everything possible to keep them running at optimal levels. Homeowners should inspect their furnaces regularly and ensure they seek professionals for all maintenance, repair, and Heating Service needs.
Steps Homeowners Can Take to Check Their Gas Furnaces
Homeowners should perform multiple steps as a part of Gas Furnace Maintenance. Taking the following steps will help to ensure a furnace is working safely and efficiently to keep a home warm and cozy during the winter months.
A Word of Caution
Before performing any checks on a gas furnace, homeowners must shut off the gas. Never inspect a furnace with the gas running because serious injuries or damages could result. Taking the correct precautions from the beginning will protect homeowners and their families.
- Homeowners first need to check their furnace flame. With good health, homeowners should see a blue flame. If the flame is yellow, orange, or flickering, call for repair. Changes in the flame can indicate deadly carbon monoxide leaks.
- Next, homeowners should listen for any concerning noises or vibrations that may occur within the system. When homeowners discover any worrisome noises with their furnaces, they should seek repair immediately.
- Should a homeowner detect the smell of gas in their home or around their furnace, they need to call for help right away. Do not use lighters or matches, touch a light switch, or use a cellphone indoors. Get out of the property right away. In the future, make sure carbon monoxide detectors are installed and working correctly.
Steps Involved in Gas Heater Maintenance
Keeping a furnace operating at its prime is more manageable with proper maintenance. These services are best performed by HVAC professionals trained to troubleshoot and maintain all kinds of gas systems. With these heating services, furnaces are less likely to break down and require expensive repairs.
- The technicians will check the furnace pilot light flame to ensure it is working correctly without any clogs.
- Technicians will survey all moving parts for signs of wear and tear and will provide lubrication.
- HVAC technicians will also change the filter and clean the gas furnace to remove dust and debris.
- As a part of the maintenance services, technicians also tighten all connections and ensure there is no wiring damage.
- A technician will inspect the gas lines and ensure no leaks are occurring that could cause dangers.
Maintenance services should be carried out at least once a year, preferably before the furnace is turned on for the first time in winter. These services keep furnaces operating efficiently and help save homeowners money on their heating costs each winter. With Gas Furnace Tune-up, homeowners are less likely to deal with a troublesome furnace breakdown in the middle of winter.
Signs a Gas Furnace Needs Repair
Most homeowners know the normal sounds and smell of their furnaces over the years. When changes become noticeable, homeowners need to take action right away. The following signs mean a gas furnace is experiencing problems with operation. Hiring an HVAC professional allows for expert troubleshooting and repairs.
- One of the first signs of problems homeowners notice is odd smells. A furnace will smell like gas, especially when first turned on for the season. If these smells occur at other times, homeowners need to seek repair services immediately.
- As furnaces grow older, they will become more challenging to start and remain running. If a homeowner needs to constantly restart their furnace throughout the day, it is likely time to seek repair services to determine the cause.
- As mentioned above, pilot light changes should never be ignored by homeowners. If the light is not a bright blue that remains steady, a homeowner needs to call an HVAC technician to carry out necessary repairs for safety.
- Odd noises during operation are troublesome and should prompt a homeowner to take action. Unusual vibrations, whining, and groaning could all mean parts are loose or failing.
- A gas furnace that is no longer heating effectively needs to be addressed. Some rooms may feel colder than others, or the furnace may blow out cold air instead of warm. Both of these require immediate repair services.
Schedule Maintenance Today
With proper maintenance, homeowners can avoid many of the signs of problems above. Regular maintenance keeps gas furnaces working safely and efficiently.
At Mullins Mechanical HVAC, we offer a wide array of HVAC services, including maintenance, repair, and installation. Since we opened our doors in 1979, have sought to provide our customers with the highest level of customer service.